Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Ok so I have been asked to be the maid of honor in my fianc茅鈥檚 brother's wedding... What exactly are my costs?? the dress and accessories (shoes, purse, Hair and Makeup) and I plan and pay for shower and bachelorette party. PLUS GIFTS for both the shower and wedding. Am I forgetting anything else??.. (there aren't any other bridesmaids just me and her 9 year old daughter)approximately how much is this going to cost?? My fianc茅 isn't helping at all for some reason he thinks he pays for his tux and our son's tux and I pay for everything else keep in mind he has a job and I don't!!! I baby sit and if I'm lucky I make $400 a month and I stay at home with our son!. He says that is what my $500 limit credit card is for...?? isn't it going to cost ALOT more then $500 to pay and plan everything?? do you think it is fair that I pay for all of that and my fianc茅 with the job pays for nothing??!!! also does anybody have any money saving tips for the shower and bachelorette parties??



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

There is NO WAY you should pay for all that yourself. Your financial situation does not allow you to. You know that you can not afford to spend hundreds of dollars on all this. I suggest either getting your fiance to help pay for the wedding of HIS brother, or decline your role as maid of honor. Without other bridesmaids, you are going to end up with the bill.



You will have to pay for your dress and shoes, so hopefully the bride does not pick out some $200+ dress for you to wear. Get shoes from DSW, or check out the clearance rack at department stores. I have found $90 shoes their for under $20.



The bride should offer to pay for your hair and makeup. If she doesn't, do your own. If you are untalented at hair, pay to have your hair done and then do your makeup yourself.



She will not need a big bachelorette party since she really doesn't have any bridesmaids. Unless you are keeping it G-rated, the 9 year old should not attend. Why not take her and her daughter out for a nice dinner? If she has other guests she wants there, just plan a small party with appetizers and drinks. It doesn't sound like she is having a big wedding, so a big party is not needed.



The bridal shower should be nicer since her family will be there. Your fiance should ask his mom to chip in with the shower since all the other expenses are on you. Again, serve appetizers and punch or something to that effect. Games are cheap, so plan on having those.



Good luck with everything!



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Glad I could help! If you need any more ideas send me an e-mail! Report It



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

You don't have to buy a gift. The party is more than enough. Her best friend or mother should coordinate the shower - that's not your responsibility.



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Of course you should not pay for all these stuff..Explain that you cannot afford it!And it is going to cost you about 1000$ or more if you get a little bit expensive things.you should spare all those costs with your brother or your fiance!Don't beg demand it



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Ask them if there is a way to give them a certain amount of money for the dress a month or if you can find one similar for cheaper. You can also do your own makeup and have a nice simple hairdo that will cost you nothing. For the shower, it can also be a bachelorette party. Ask people to bring snaks such as soda and such and that way, you aren't paying for everything.



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

When I was MOH I paid almost $1,000. :S



Other items that you missed are that you will have to plan both the bridal shower and the hen party and there will likely be costs to incur from those events (food, games, decorations, etc). Also, often the bridal party buys a special gift for the bride and that can cost a bit of money. (Of course, this isn't required, but is considered "common place" where I live.) I also had to pay for alterations to the dress.



But, all MOH expenses end up different. I actually know someone who spent $400 on the MOH dress alone. Hopefully your bride is a bit more frugal than that!! ;o)



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

It can add up to be a lot if you make it a lot. The most expensive thing that you HAVE to pay for is the dress and accessories to go with it. While the bride does pick these out, being the maid of honor you get to help her. Tell her your financial situation and ask that she try to keep that in mind when you pick out dresses. Since it is only you and one other person, you could probably find really cute and affordable dresses somewhere at like JC Penny's for under $100. Same for the shoes, payless has a lot of cute designs. My cousin did that for her wedding and the dresses were beautiful. As for hair and makeup, for the bride, she can go to a fancy salon, but perhaps you could get yours done early that morning at a value salon (they still do a great job!).



As for the shower and party, keep it low key. If there is going to be food, ask the guests to bring a dish to pass. Visit a local party store or dollar store for decorations. Spend about 100-200 dollars. As for the bachalorette party, just head out for a night on the town. Go shopping, hit up the bars, but don't book a place (that's expensive), and then everyone can go in on buying drinks for the bride. Then you will only have to cover your drinks and some for the bride).



Other expenses:



For the wedding shower get something simple like a cookbook ($25).



For the bachelorette part get a cute gag gift for under $20-- ask other guests to chip in if you want to do more funny stuff



For the wedding gift, look at the registry and buy something under $30, or simply get her a gift with a gift certificate.



While it will definitly cost you a few hundred dollars, keep a budget in mind and don't go over that budget. Hopefully the bride will be understanding when it comes to the dresses.



Good luck!



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Certainly $500.00 is not a lot to accomodate all the parties you need. I would suggest to cut down some of it such as not having the bachelorette party anymore. Stick only to the wedding shower party only. For conducting the bridal shower, I hope there are many craftstores in your area so you can put your creativity into use. You also might want to cut down on sending invitations instead use a phone to let people know that you are planning to throw a bridal shower for this.....and for favors, instead of buying expensive favors, you can buy those silhouette netted cloth and put some of her favorite candies. For decorations, go to dollar store they have lots of stuff in their. LAstly, I don't know if you are going to be in charge for the food too! but they will be expensive.



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

yes, dress, shoes hair, possibly nails, etc, you will have to pay for in all likeliness. I actually offered and did pay for my moh for all of that since I knew she was broke. But that is not the norm. She will have a shower, bach party, and a wedding gift you will have to come up with. Since you're a stay at home mom, maybe you're crafty. Handmade gifts are always great and cost little. check out craftster.org for some great ideas on handmade gifts! It's a great site and even if you aren't artistic, you could easily do something handmade and it would be cool.Let her know that you are honored to be selected as moh, but you're broke and offer to help in other ways such as stuffing invitations, or decorating the hall or church. I would talk to her, and I'm sure she would understand. Maybe she could help you out, if you offered to help with other things. I could have used the help instead of tupperware! If you are the only one standing up, maybe you have a nice dress already or can find one (or rent one, borrow one) and if she likes it can work it into her sceme and get her daughter a dress to match. (I only had my moh stand up and she picked whatever she wanted to wear and it was fine with me. )



Hope that helps.



Good luck to you



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Since it's only you and their daughter as attendants can you talk the bride in to letting you buy an off the rack dress, rather than a traditional 'bridesmaid' gown? That can help save a lot of bucks. Also, ask the bride if she's even expecting you to put on her shower - her Mom or family may be doing it and you can just help with some stuff. As for the bachelorette party, do something simple - how about an old fashioned slumber party? It's what I wanted to do for mine. Have everyone bring their favorite pig out food, make it BYOB, and the worse you have to worry about is the clean up before and after. Everyone checks their keys at the door and no one leaves (no DUI's!) until the next morning after breakfast (I'd supply breakfast for them - one of the cheapest meals! Eggs stretch far! Rent some movies, have a CD player nearby for singing along with, get some of the 'tabloid' magazines for fun. Tell your fiance that your son and he needs to find a place to stay that night!



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

So you're engaged to a guy who is basically treating you like an unpaid nanny (or worse) Hate it for you.



It's his brother...you're engaged...so if he's any sort of a gentleman at all, he should pony up a little $$ for the expenses.



At my daughter's upcoming wedding, we're buying the dresses and hired a beautician to come in and do the hair But that's us and not your situation. I just mentioned it because you're going "above and beyond" already.



If the bachelorette party is more of a girl's night out, I don't think it's out of line for everyone to pay their own way and divide equally the cost of the bride-to-be's dinner/drink.



Have the shower in a public place. Lots of restaurant chains have sections that can be "reserved" for free or little of nothing. Provide a cake and desserty type snacks and if people wish to order appetizers, they certainly can.



It shouldn't be about the money, but often it does come down to that.



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

You pay for all your garments and accessories (although the bride may give the bridal party their wedding jewelry as a gift). The women closest to her, not just you, should pay for the shower and bach. party. Also, female family members (mom, aunties, etc) usually chip in as well...or pay for all of it.



Your fiancee shouldn't be paying for his future sister-in-laws shower either. The money saving tip I have is that you let her friends and family know that they need to come up off some money!



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

My maid of honor has actually asked the other bridesmaids, and friends that arent in the wedding to help pay for the bridal shower and the bachelorette party. She just told them. At this time I cant afford all this, I am a single mom who goes to school. If you are really organized you can give all the other bridesmaids a duty, and ask them to please do that. Also talk to the brides mother, grandmother, aunts, and such, to see if their is something they can do to help.



Maid of honor HELP!!?? what do I need to pay for?? how much does it cost??

Several thoughts



First of all, your fiancee' should help with expenses. That's not very nice for him to think only of himself.



I would talk to the bride's mother. she usually helps with the bridal shower. See if you can host it at the church (free) and then delegate the tasks to others. The grandmothers can bring some food, you will plan the games, the mother will handle invitations, that sort of thing. You shouldn't have to do all the work

No comments:

Post a Comment